
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 25) — Senator Joel Villanueva on Thursday said there is no “urgent need” to pass an additional stimulus package since funds for programs meant to revive the recession-hit economy under other pieces of legislation have yet to be fully released.
“With the 2020 budget still there, Bayanihan 2 budget still is there, and then 2021 budget is still there, we have yet to see an urgent need — na kaya pa irollout ang projects and programs na ating gagawin with Bayanihan 3,” Villanueva told a briefing.
[Translation: We have yet see the urgent need — that we can still rollout the projects and programs with Bayanihan 3.]
Early this month, House Speaker Lord Allan Velasco and Marikina City 2nd District Representative Stella Luz Quimbo filed House Bill No. 8628 or Bayanihan to Arise As One Act, which seeks to secure an additional stimulus package amounting to ₱420 billion to jumpstart the economy. The bill hopes to be a continuation of the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act and Bayanihan to Recover as One Act that were passed last year to mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Bulk of the proposed funding would help businesses survive the pandemic and deliver another wave of cash aid for poor Filipino families. https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2021/2/7/velasco-420-billion-bayanihan-3.html
Villanueva said he is still open to discuss a third version of Bayanihan, but he noted that projects under the ₱4.5-trillion 2021 budget already seek to address the challenges due to the pandemic.
“Lahat tayo open sa anumang mga inputs, anumang mga (We are open to inputs) and ideas that can particularly address the problems and the challenges we are facing today,” he said. “However, we are also aware that the 2021 budget ay na nakapaloob na dito ang marami sa ating inanticipate na mga challenges o problema na pwede nating kaharapin,” he added.
[Translation: However, we are also aware that programs under the 2021 budget will already address the challenges we anticipate or problems that we might face.]
Last month, President Rodrigo Duterte extended the validity of funds appropriated under the P4.1-trillion national budget for 2020 and the Bayanihan 2, which provides a ₱165.5 billion budget for pandemic response and recovery. Remainder of the appropriations under the 2020 spending plan will still be available for release until December 31 this year. Funds set aside under Bayanihan 2, which was supposed to expire on December 19 last year, can still be released until June 30 this year.
Data from the Department of Budget and Management show as of February 10, only over P3 billion under Bayanihan 2 remains unreleased.
















