
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 25) – The Department of Education expressed its support regarding President Rodrigo Duterte’s decision to postpone the implementation of pilot face-to-face classes.
In a statement released on Wednesday, DepEd said it understood the President’s reason not to risk the lives of teachers and students pending the start of the national vaccination program.
“We understand that the availability and roll out of vaccines in the country are critical factors for this undertaking. We shall continue to coordinate with national and local authorities and health experts, parents, teachers and service providers,” the agency said.
DepEd said 1,904 public schools nationwide are ready for the pilot study of limited physical classes.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque previously said Duterte was open to the conduct of pilot face-to-face classes in August, especially in areas with low numbers of COVID-19 cases.
RELATED: Duterte rejects proposed resumption of face-to-face classes — Palace
Basic education classes have resumed in October 2020 under blended learning, which combines virtual sessions, radio and TV broadcasts, and printed modules for self-learning.
Around mid-December last year, Duterte approved the pilot implementation of face-to-face classes in January in schools situated in areas tagged as low-risk for COVID-19. He recalled his order days later in light of the threat posed by the more contagious coronavirus variant first discovered in the United Kingdom.
The President banned face-to-face classes earlier last year, eventually allowing those in medical and allied health programs offered by higher education institutions in areas under general community quarantine and modified GCQ areas.
















