Home / News / DOT eyes charges vs. Boracay tourists who faked COVID-19 test results

DOT eyes charges vs. Boracay tourists who faked COVID-19 test results

(File photo)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 6) — The Department of Tourism is looking at filing falsification charges against six Boracay tourists in December who presented fake COVID-19 test results to enter the island, Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said on Friday. 

The secretary told CNN Philippines News.PH the agency found out the tourists faked results because they knew they were infected but they still wanted to visit the popular tourist destination.

“The [local government unit] is filing a case but we’re still looking if the DOT will file a case kasi dapat matuto na talaga [because they must learn a lesson from this],” she stressed.

She expressed disappointment especially as the department grapples with tourism losses over travel restrictions last year. 

“Nakakalungkot kasi akala nila…nakalamang sila pero what they don’t realize is with COVID, nakalusot nga sila, pero naapektuhan nila lahat ng nagtatrabaho sa Boracay,” said the secretary.

[Translation: It is saddening because they think they were able to pull off a trick but what they don’t realize is, with COVID-19, they were able to get away, but many workers in Boracay were affected.]

Boracay has been hounded by multiple health protocol violations and issues since reopening last year. Apart from tourists giving fake test results, one establishment was reprimanded for holding a crowded Halloween party while another was closed temporarily after its workers tested positive for COVID-19.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: