Home / News / Carpio: Military should probe Chinese tourists around Palawan naval facility

Carpio: Military should probe Chinese tourists around Palawan naval facility

Supreme Court Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio (FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 1) — Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio said Wednesday the military should look into the presence of Chinese tourists near a Philippine Navy base in Palawan.

Reports surfaced earlier this week that two groups of Chinese tourists took photos of the Tide Pole naval facility in Parola, Puerto Princesa City.

When asked if this should be a cause for concern, Carpio said, “I think our military should conduct an investigation because we don’t know whether they are just tourists or just interested in taking pictures or whether they are spies.”

However, the Supreme Court magistrate explained that China does not need to send “tourists” for surveillance purposes.

“I think China can easily get the layout of our bases through their satellites. They don’t have to send those tourists to take pictures,” he said.

Philippine-occupied Pag-asa Island, the seat of the Kalayaan municipal government, is part of Palawan province. The island belongs to a larger group of islets and maritime features locally known as the Kalayaan Island Group — a subject of maritime disputes with China.

Chinese vessels believed to be part of China’s maritime militia have swarmed on Pag-asa as repairs are being done on the island’s runway.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: